Windows Weekly 277
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Guest: Bradley Borrows, Microsoft New Zealand
Topic: Nokia announcements, HTC announcements, Windows Server 2012 launch, Bing it on, and more
- Bradley Borrows, Microsoft New Zealand
- New Amazon Kindle Fires
- Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G, Kindle Fire HD 8.9", and Kindle Fire HD Link
- Paul at TechEd New Zealand: Hands on with Windows RT Link
- Paul spent three days with upcoming Windows RT devices.
- Paul reports it's just like Windows 8, exactly like Windows 8.
- Mary Jo is elated Windows RT supports Notepad.
- The world's biggest multi-touch display from new Microsoft's Perceptive Pixel Link
- Leo buys "a crap load" of new Kindle Fires. Link
- Mary Jo in Manhattan at Nokia Announcement: New Lumia, Windows Phone 8 Link
- Introduction of Lumia 920 and 820.
- Reporters allowed to hold new hardware, but not use. Possibly because phones included Windows Phone 8 features not yet revealed.
- PureView camera available in 920.
- microSD slot 820, but not in the 920. Link
- New accessories: inductance charging pad, Fatboy pillow, and speaker dock.
- More Windows Phone 8 News
- The *real* Windows Phone 8 launch is October 29.
- Verizon is confirming they will have multiple Windows Phones in Q4 this year. Link
- Nokia did not announce pricing or availability. Where was AT&T?
- HTC to take the wraps off Windows Phone 8 device(s) on September 19 in NYC. Three possible models (Zenith, Accord and Rio). Link
- Will Verizon's Windows 8 "hero phone" be HTC? Link
- Windows Phone SDK delayed. Link
- Microsoft Launches Windows Server 2012 Link
- Standard, Datacenter and Foundation available now, Essentials later.
- Integration of public and private clouds.
- Replacement of Windows Home Server with Windows Server Essentials 2012.
- Hyper-V Server 2012 and Windows Storage Server 2012 also shipping.
- Presidential Beer Recipe Link
- Bing It On! Link
- MS launches a new campaign/contest to try to pry them away.
- Microsoft throws down the relevancy gauntlet with sweepstakes with a Surface as a prize.
- Will Google-accustomed searchers ever give Bing a real try?
Tips and Picks of the Week
- Tip of the week: Make Xbox Music and Xbox Video work properly in Windows 8 How to focus on your content, not Microsoft's, and some thoughts about correctly tagging music and videos.
- Tip of the week #2: March Russinovich's "Zero Day" sequel is out Mark Russinovich's second novel, "Trojan Horse," is now available. It's a sequel to "Zero Day" and a sort of modern computer thriller with accurate information about technology and computer security.
- Enterprise pick of the week: Hyper-V Server 2012, available this week.
- Enterprise pick of the week #2: Don't forget to tune into TWiET on Monday -- it's going to be mostly Microsoft show. http://twit.tv/twiet
- Rumor of the week: There's been a bit of a reorg in the Windows division, tipsters say. The team formerly known as Windows Live has a new name (and possibly two).
- Squarespace, squarespace.com: offer code windows9
- Audible, audible.com/windows
| It by Stephen King (UNABRIDGED)|
Narrated by Steven Weber
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|