All About Android 25
Topic: Jelly Bean, Honeycomb preview on Google TV, Sony Tablet S hands on, browsers, and more!
Recorded: September 12, 2011
Published: September 12, 2011
All About Android 25: Battle Of The Browsers
- Eric Schmidt confirms Ice Cream Sandwich release in Oct/Nov
- The Salesforce Dreamforce 2011 conference happened last week, and during the lengthy keynote, Eric Schmidt made a very brief comment about Ice Cream Sandwich.
- Android ‘Jelly Bean’ *might* come after Ice Cream Sandwich (update)
- Jelly Bean appears to be the name of the next version of Android to follow Ice Cream Sandwich, according to a "trusted" source of thisismynext.com. The source also mentioned the possibility that some of the "game changing stuff" originally planned for Ice Cream Sandwich might be getting pushed to Jelly Bean. No idea exactly what "stuff" that is, but another source later confirmed that Ice Cream Sandwich will still feature major architectural, functional and design changes.
- New Google TV With Honeycomb Gets Previewed At CEDIA
- A Blu-Ray Google TV box at the Sony booth at CEDIA was running Honeycomb, showcasing the updated UI of Google TV. AN11bgda
- Interview w/ Brady Forrest, O'Reilly, Android Open Conference Chair
- Android Open conference
- Full Schedule
- 1 GHz dual-core processor and 1 GB of RAM
- 4.3-inch qHD (960×540) touchscreen with antireflective coating
- 32 GB of storage: 16 GB internal, 16 GB microSD card (included)
- Google Android Gingerbread 2.3.4
- 8 megapixel auto-focus rear camera supporting 1080p video recording
- Front-facing camera for video chat over 4G, 3G or Wi-Fi networks
- Nicole Lee seems to really, really like it a lot "Slim, slick, powerful and fast". "Worth the wait? Yes. Worth the price? We have our doubts"
How about a discussion of the oncoming Philadelphia Inquirer/GameStop/Amazon led assault of the subsidized, cheap Android tablets?
- related: Gamestop prepping its own Android tablet - no specs yet. Just announced.
I wanted to inform you about my experience with lookout.
My brothers phone got stolen in school. When he came home I started locating the phone via the lookout app. The phone was turned off so no luck at first. Then I also remotely installed the 'Plan B' app from lookout you mentioned a few episodes ago. When the thief turned on the phone it installed the app and I got an e-mail with the GPS coordinates of the phone. I checked the address list of the classmates of my brother and their was a match. Then I went to the police with all the information. After carefully explaining what I did I was lucky and the policemen believed the story. They called the parents of the kid to come to the police station. The kid admitted he had stolen the phone and returned it. Lookout just saved my Galaxy S and an excuse to buy the S II. Guess who will now buy a premium license for lookout! Keep up the good work, love the show.
- Get Jar
- GetJar just launched #GetJarGold! Top Paid Android apps for free only on #GetJar.
- Is it worth it, if you don't get the updates as fast as you do in the Android Marketplace? Same issue seems to happen over at amazon marketplace
- Netflix app now supports all 2.1 and 2.2 devices
- Some still report the app not working with their device, so your mileage may vary.
Eileen mentioned a favorite app update management tool, Changelog Droid , that allows one to view the reasons behind your app updates. Changelog Droid
When I was watching Jason's entry about Tasker he started with an e-mail about someone wanting to schedule his ringer to be off during class. I have a similar situation where I work in a bank and I literally could be fired if they hear my phone ring. I have been using Silent Time (http://market.android.com/details?id=com.QuiteHypnotic.SilentTime&feature=search_result) for a very long time now and it is flawless. It is super easy to set up and has never failed me. Before I got it, I was either in risk of getting fired or missing important calls, like forgetting to pick my wife up from her friends house (I know, I suck). Even though takser is a great app, I think that Silent Time would be a whole lot better for the writer.
Thanks for the show. I love it so much in fact, I delayed watching this weeks Doctor Who to watch AAA.
- Last Week's Poll
- This week's face-off: Browsers
- Jason - Dolphin Browser HD (FREE)
- Eileen - Miren
- Ron - Firefox
- Brady - Skyfire
- Gina - Stock browser when I'm not using LastPass's built-in browser
- This Week's Poll
- Ad Time: 59:39
- Ad Time: 25:21
- Edited by: Jason
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|