FLOSS Weekly 39
|Hosts: Leo Laporte and Randal Schwartz|
Guest: Simon Phipps 
Topic: Simon Phipps chief open source officer of Sun Microsystems.
Date: September 5th, 2008
Simon Phipps is the Chief Open Source Officer at Sun Microsystems, co-ordinating Sun's extensive participation in free and open source software and open standards communities, promoting consistency and best practice and actively participating in the global conversation they express. Until 2000 he worked at IBM.
- Jonathan I. Schwartz CEO Sun Microsystems
- theyworkforyou.com speaking and voting records from UK parliament members
- Cory Doctrow - Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom
- GPL GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
- Free Software Foundation
- Open Solaris
- Simon Phipps on twitter
- Stephen Fry Blog
- NetBeans Java Integrated Development Environment
- GlassFish Open Source Java Application Server
- ZFS next generation file system
- Sun Open Hardware Documentation
- Red Flag Linux Chinese Linux distribution
- Microsoft .NET Framework
- James Gosling
- Microsoft Shared Source License
- Apache Foundation
Simon Phipps: Open source is about the transparency at the community level, but also the privacy about ones motivations why one codes.
Simon Phipps: The internet is bringing about this transition from hub and spoke to mesh. This transition from security meaning secrecy to security meaning transparency with privacy.
Simon Phipps: The sooner an idea is brought into community, the more the originator of the idea and everybody else will benefit from it.
Simon Phipps: Open source business models are about monetizing when the user finds value, as apposed to monetizing the promise of value, which is the proprietary model.