IPad Today 66
Recorded: October 6, 2011
Published: October 6, 2011
iPad Today 66: Goodbye Steve, Thanks for All the Shows
Leo & Sarah remember the man who made "iPad Today" possible, plus iOS 5, iCould, iPhone 4S, Glympse, Orchestra, Chess Camp, & more!
- RIP STEVE: Steve Jobs dies at the age of 56
IPAD 2 ROUNDUP
- A5 chip, dual-core
- 9x graphics power
- 2 cameras
- white model
- thinner than an iPhone 4, 1.3 lbs
SO, THAT HAPPENED.
- APPLE'S ANNOUNCEMENTS ON 10/4
- iOS 5 & iCloud go live on 10/12
- sync photos between iPhone & iPad (iPhone 4S camera 8mp, better lens, auto-WB, etc)
- Glympse - the closest "Find My Friends" competitor I can think of
- Adam R wrote in:
"Hey Leo and Sarah, I watched the iPhone 4S being unveiled, and it struck me that the iPhone 4 can't handle Siri, because it doesn't have an A5 processor, but the iPad 2 does… Do you think that'll mean that iPad 2 owners will get a crack at Siri in iOS5? I guess we'll find out soon enough, but no one seems to be asking the question anywhere else. Do you know?"
- Infinity Blade II coming 12/1
APP STORE UPDATE
- The folks at the binary family are offering "iTrivia: All About Apple" for free through Sunday 10/9. Leslie wrote in:
"Our whole team is truly indebted to Steve Jobs, his genius and all he has done. Without him, we would not exist: we earn our living solely from the App Store. His revolutionary approach allows us, as independent developers, to stand alongside the software giants and offer our creations directly to Apple users. For this we are truly grateful."
SARAH'S DUH TIPS:
- Bill Moloy writes: you can get to the active apps by doing a four fingered swipe up. Need to download Xcode.
- Paul sent us instructions to add custom words to the dictionary he found at geardiary.com:
- Go to Settings > General > Keyboard > International Keyboards
- Click the “Add New Keyboard…” button
- Pick a new keyboard, such as Chinese – Traditional (Pinyin)
- Go back to the Keyboard setting page and a new option appears for “Edit User Dictionary…”
- You now can add custom words to your dictionary and they’ll appear along with the built-in words!
SUGGESTIONS FOR IAN THE PLUMBER (Video question from last week about using iPads for a team at work)
- "For job tracking, the HoursTracker HD app by Carlos Ribas is great. Each iPad user can then export to the home office their daily Hours Tracker data file for consolidation and billing.
G'day, Marc Klass"
- A bunch of you found this on Engadget and passed it along:
- Griffin Multidock stores and charges and sync’s 10 Ipads at once - can also be chain-linked to two other docks for syncing of up to 30 tablets with a single Mac.
- Wil Chow wrote in about an app he created called Data Room:
"...through the a web interface you can upload, organize, and deploy your media to all the iPads in your business. So Ian could upload images, audio, PDF's, DOC's, PPT's, even MOV's for training videos, etc, into the system and it'll notify all the iPads in his company that there is an update. The employees can then download the new content all within our iPad app and the content will be organized/categorized the way that Ian set it up in the web interface."
"I have often compared Steve Jobs to another great visionary, Walt Disney.
Both had passion and great vision in what they did. Both seemed to know what the public wanted, even before the public did. Both changed the world for the better.
Walt too was often cited as being vey difficult to work for, often being a ""tyrant"" around the office. Yet like Steve, people loved to work for him because they knew the goal was to get it right, and that they were all pushed to make the best product. Many stayed their for entire careers.
At the dedication of the opening of Disney World in 1971, Walt's brother Roy said this:
Walt Disney World is a tribute to the philosophy and life of Walter Elias Disney... and to the talents, the dedication, and the loyalty of the entire Disney organization that made Walt Disney World bring Joy and Inspiration and New Knowledge to all who come to this happy place... a Magic Kingdom where the young at heart of all ages can laugh and play and learn - together.
The same can be said of Steve Jobs…. He helped the world laugh and play and learn, together.
Thanks Walt for Disneyland....Where my little girl can be a princess every day. Thanks Steve for the iPad...Where she can watch the story of one every night.
Ken Goldenberg Rancho Santa Margarita, CA"
APP CAP AWARD
- ad times: :39 - :53 and 15:01 - 16:21
- ad times: :53 - 1:02 and 35:29 - 39:29
- ad times: 1:02 - 1:17 and 52:44 - 54:17
- Edited by: Jeff
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|