IPad Today 68
Recorded: October 20, 2011
Published: October 20, 2011
iPad Today 68: iWork, Facebook, The Economist, iTune Radio Pro, Siegecraft!
Leo & Sarah talk app changes on iOS 5, iWork gets iCloud goodness, The Economist gets 2 apps, Real Racing 2 HD, TuneIn Radio, Siegecraft, & more!
TODAY'S THEME IS...NEW iOS, BETTER APPS!
- app1 - iWork apps - Pages, Numbers, & Keynote all updated for iOS 5
- docs saved to cloud, downloaded as iwork, pdf, or office docs, new compatible files can be uploaded to icloud to read in iOS 5
- Keynote 1.5 stream presentations wirelessly to an Apple TV via AirPlay
- Pages 1.5 adds voice dictation support for the iPhone 4S
- all 3 apps are $10
- app2 - Facebook
- (over 4000 ratings on current version updated on the 13th)
- app3 - Economist now has 2 iPad apps - new one complies with Apple's in-app purchase guidelines
- direct link to "new" Economist app
SO, THAT HAPPENED
- Facebook Messenger gets updates:
- see the other person typing, similar to IM
- see who's web vs. mobile on chat
- AOL Editions now works in landscape mode - was a gripe from users from Day 1
VIEWERS LIKE YOU
EMAIL IOS has text expander built into it. Under General -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts you can set up text expansion that is available EVERYWHERE. Don’t know what the company that actually writes the popular text expansion software thinks about that!
This is more of an accessibility tip for the blind but it still kind of blows my mind. If you have voiceover activated in the camera application it will actually tell you how many faces are in your shot and where they are located on the screen. Now a blind person can take a completely accurate and well-aimed shot for a portrait or family photo, AND make sure all faces that are supposed to be in the shot are in the shot and in the right place. That is absolutely incredible to me!
I totally love the show and thank you for helping to support my cord cutting efforts by providing a superior alternative to the junk that flows through my cable wire!
Jason Kistler St. Petersburg, FL
APP CAP AWARD
- sarah's app - TuneIn Radio Pro
- tunein.com, $0.99
- free version has banner ads and won't allow recording
- ad times: :45 - :59 and 29:00 - 30:30
- ad times: :59 - 1:13 and 37:46 - 41:41
- ad times: 1:13 - 1:30 and 50:24 - 50:54
- Edited by: Jeff
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|