MacBreak Weekly 259
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Recorded: August 9th, 2011
Published: August 9th, 2011
MacBreak Weekly 259: Jury Duty – Part 1
iOS 5 beta 5 is out, is iOS the new big gaming platform, trouble with Lion – upgrades, NVIDIA drivers, Apple killing MobileMe sync
- Alex Lindsay ( /Google+)
- Andy Ihnatko ( /Google+)
- Clayton Morris ( /Google+)
- Apple 5th most innovative company
- Speech Recognition in iOS 5
- Voice Recognition is cloud based and requires internet connection
- More links: MacRumors article
- MobileMe transition page, Apple killing MobileMe sync for keychains, widgets, etc
- No longer synced: dashboard widgets, dock items, keychains, mail accounts, rules, signatures, smart mailboxes and preferences.
- It is planned to offer some of these services again in iCloud but it might take a while for them to appear.
- Access is going to be cut off next month
- iCloud migration process is currently only open to developers
- US iOS/Android Map
- Blue and yellow pages indicated usage preference per state
- Problem: only 1% preference would decide color
- A map showing network penetration would be interesting to see, since some of these preferences might influence the choice of OS.
- Bloomberg posts 'hypothetical' iPhone 5
- Hypothetical cost: $270.10
- Trend with Apple pricing is to bring new innovation for the same price, rather than dropping it.
- Lion and NVIDIA on 2010 MacBook Pro causing headaches for owners
- Some work arounds floating around on the internet
- Safest thing to do is to go back to Snow Leopard
- It's unclear if it's going to be a simple driver or firmware upgrade
- Apple released Mac OS X Lion Recovery Disc Assistant
- Helpful when complete hard disc crashed and is unrecoverable
- Is meant to be installed on USB key, it will delete content on drive first.
- Network boot option for MacBook Air users available
- 1 GB in size
- Lion attracts lawsuit for fast boot
- Fast boot patent was filed in 1999 by Florida-based company
- Skype 5.3 release – Lion compatible and HD video calls
- 5.0 was release not very popular
- Upgrade needed for all features to be working
- Still some bugs in the 5.3 release, but mostly a step in the right direction
- Apple still involved in Lodsys suit
- Apple filed second motion to be allowed to take part in the defense of app developers.
- Lodsys targeting individual developers who couldn't protect themselves.
- Things are heating up for Lodsys as Apple is stepping in.
Tips for Mac OS X Lion
- Resizing Windows in Lion
- hold OPTION key down while resizing and it will resizing on both dimensions
- Safari in Fullscreen
- sometimes you want to narrow the column in order to read an article in fullscreen mode
- move mouse to the edge
- mouse pointer changes to arrows
- now you can change the width of the display column
- Battery Life on iPhone
- make sure to kill all background processes not needed
- turn off WiFi if you don't need it
- turn off phone (airplane mode) if you don't have reception or don't need it.
- with both WiFi and Phone iPhone will constantly try to connect and use up a lot of battery
Picks of the Week
- Andy Inhatko: "A spinning hard drive is very much like the rotary telephone."
- GoToMeeting (offer code: macbreak): safe money by meeting from the comfort of your home/office.
- Carbonite (offer code: macbreak): online backup for Mac and PC
- Smile Software (get free demo): PDFpen, PDFpro, Text Expander, etc.
- Edited by:
- Shotes notes: Jean-Marie Schweizer (Bushgeek)
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|