MacBreak Weekly 266
Guest: Don McAllister
Recorded: September 27th, 2011
Published: September 27th, 2011
- 1 MacBreak Weekly 266: Here's Your Sucker Hat
- 1.1 Hosts
- 1.2 Guests
- 1.3 Pre-Show
- 1.4 Topics
- 1.4.1 Apple Issues Invitations for October 4th iPhone Media Event
- 1.4.2 Wedge: Apple’s ‘iPhone 4S’ will be only new model to launch this year
- 1.4.3 Apple 'gearing up' to release devices with curved glass in 2012 - report
- 1.4.4 T-Mobile Exec Says Network Won’t Get iPhone 5 This Year
- 1.4.5 Amazon Kindle Fire Android tablet announcement on Wednesday
- 1.4.6 Facebook's iPad App Will Go Public at iPhone 5 Event: Reports
- 1.4.7 Mac Expo Petaluma
- 1.4.8 JPMorgan Differs With JPMorgan on Apple IPad Order Research
- 1.4.9 Comcast Working on iPad TV Streaming Service Called AnyPlay
- 1.4.10 Apple is denied a trademark on 'multi-touch'
- 1.4.11 Samsung Asks Apple For 2.4% Payout On iPhone Chipsets
- 1.4.12 Miscellaneous
- 1.5 Tips, Picks and more
- 2 Sponsors
- 3 Production Information
MacBreak Weekly 266: Here's Your Sucker Hat
Apple Event on October 4th, and much more...
- Leo Laporte ( /Google+)
- Andy Ihnatko ( /Google+)
- Alex Lindsay ( /Google+)
- DM: asking everyone to participate in a iPad Tree Exhibition.
- Eileen is showing her and Don's tree.
- AL: is contemplating to contribute as well.
Apple Event Invites
- LL: Anyone got an invite?
- AL: I got front row seats (joking).
- DM: I didn't get one.
Sprint Epic 4G Touch
- LL: is unpacking his new toy.
- shows the similarities between the Sprint's and Apple's power plug
- as he starts up the phone it shows the linux command line.
- doesn't seem to look what people would expect when to power on the phone.
- where's the OK key? (Home key is the OK key)
- That's why Apple's saying that they wanted to see what they do.
- At a second try it finally turn on correctly.
Amazon Announcement Tomorrow
- AI: skyping in from NY.
- He is getting ready for the Amazon Kindle announcement.
- LL: Leo's showing off his Facebook Timeline.
- only developers get access to this feature.
- He made a joke about Facebook finding a baby picture of him.
- LL: Do the British hate Austin Powers?
- DM: Not really.
- Discussion around American faking English accents and English faking an American accents.
Apple Issues Invitations for October 4th iPhone Media Event
- Last MBW before the event
- LL: Who in here got an invitation? Show hands!
- Nobody show hands.
- LL: Even AI didn't get an invitation?
- We are the most viewed podcast around Apple and nobody got an invitation.
- AL: Maybe it has todo with Skype and a Laptop in the audience.
- LL: We'll be here covering it live.
- They used to cover it live themselves but then stopped.
- AL: I think the reason why they don't do it, it takes the power away from the news agencies.
- They all have the chance to get the news up
- If you saw live streaming every time, the attention in blogs, etc. might not be as big.
- LL: AI, DM would you like to join us?
- Both will be here. AL as well.
- LL: The invite is very clear, not secretive.
- DM: I like the line 'Let's talk iPhone'
- LL: Who cannot talk about iPhone 5 because of NDA?
- AI and DM can't
- Rathole: Snoop Dog is everywhere today, comics and such
- LL: I might be that 'Nuance' recognition will be part of iOS5.
- It'll be said that now, for the first time ever, speech recognition
- The fact is that Android had it for a while.
- AI: loves the Nuance feature for navigation.
- LL: Is Apple going to offer navigation on the iPhone?
- AL: There's a possibility for that.
- LL: AI and I both like Motion GPX live.
- AI: It actually behaves like an iOS app, better than any other ones.
- AL: I tested a whole bunch of apps, not Motion GPX though and the TomTom really got me there.
- DM: What interests me is, if speech recognition will rely on the hardware of the phone.
- AI: Google speech recognition requires connection to the internet.
- LL: It might be possible now with faster processors and more memory to have the whole library on the phone.
- DM: You were also limited with the length of recognition, maybe just 30 seconds.
- AL: I can really see that someone who dictates a lot using this feature.
- I remember that I had to write a 3 page essay for getting a 64 MB upgrade from 128 MB for rendering at ILM working on star wars. Now, phones come with GB of memory.
- LL: Are they going to add LTE?
- AI: No chance. ATT's LTE still has very little coverage.
- LL: ATT is moving as quickly as they can with coverage.
- He is showing his Sprint Epic 4G Touch using the speech recognition
Wedge: Apple’s ‘iPhone 4S’ will be only new model to launch this year
- DM: Even if it's just a slight update it'll be fine.
- AL: I used to have a phone that was 4 years old. It would not work that well anymore but I still would use it.
- Nowadays, if you don't have the latest phone you are missing out.
Apple 'gearing up' to release devices with curved glass in 2012 - report
- LL: it's like having a phone wrapping around the side of your head.
- AL: We'll probably eventually have a body phone powered by body heat.
- LL: We'll find out in a week. It's the last time to speculate wildly.
T-Mobile Exec Says Network Won’t Get iPhone 5 This Year
- LL: Not sure to trust his post. He's been wrong before.
Amazon Kindle Fire Android tablet announcement on Wednesday
- LL: Are these leaks helpful?
- Also, the reason why these leaks are happening because developers are getting the device beforehand and then talk about it.
- Apple is on the other extreme. They lock the new device in a room and have very restricted access to it.
- DM: I don't think the Kindle Fire is not meant to be an iPad competitor.
- We can assume that it'll be in colors.
- AI: It's clear that Amazon is targeting the Nook.
- AL: It's fascinating to watch how the media industry is desperately trying to create leverage between all providers: Amazon, B&N, Netflix, etc.
- They take something away from Netflix, give it to Apple, etc.
Facebook's iPad App Will Go Public at iPhone 5 Event: Reports
- LL: Why isn't there an iPad app already?
- The official answer a few month ago was that the iPad isn't a mobile device
- But apparently the truth is that the developer of the iPad app quite a few months ago.
- DM: I don't really see why they would hold an iPad app back.
- LL: I heard that just before Ping was announced that Zuckerberg went to Jobs and negotiated but Apple didn't give in so far. They wouldn't share any information with Facebook.
- AL: I'm much more comfortable for Apple to have my information than Facebook.
- LL: Mark Zuckerberg believes that the more public you are the happier you'll be.
- AI: My concern is that just by going around and being alive the information that is gathered is triggering all these ads which might be based on wrong assumptions.
- What happens if stupid marketers use the information and wrongly use it.
- LL: There's billions on dollars spent on TV on just a time slot with not much information about the viewers.
- The prospect of having all this information available and target ads more precisely is going to create a huge business.
- AL: It really depends on how much data they own.
- I buy everything on Amazon and now, when I go to Amazon, my front page is like cat nip.
- They are definitely showing me the right things.
- AI: I considered buying a outdoor garbage can from Amazon just because shipping was free.
- LL: There's a major privacy issue here.
- The more they know about us the more they can target their ads, and also, they can deny services, too.
- LL: Let's warp it up with a vote.
- Are we going to see a Facebook app next Tuesday?
- No: LL, DM, AI
- LL: You can't access Spotify without a Facebook account (new accounts).
- It's scary to think that at some point we can't buy groceries without a Facebook account.
Mac Expo Petaluma
- LL: It's this weekend and Smile Software is sponsoring it.
- AL: I love this event.
- LL: Lot's of great names.
- Reason for mentioning it is (see sponsors).
JPMorgan Differs With JPMorgan on Apple IPad Order Research
- LL: Some disagreement about Bloomberg's analyses.
- AI: It could mean that something new is about to come out.
- I'm still waiting for a TV.
Comcast Working on iPad TV Streaming Service Called AnyPlay
- LL: You have to be near your Motorola Box. That's really not useful.
- Who cares about an iPad streaming when you need to sit next to the box?
- There's no Apple TV AI, dream on.
Apple is denied a trademark on 'multi-touch'
- LL: No tears of sadness?
- Everybody: No
Samsung Asks Apple For 2.4% Payout On iPhone Chipsets
- LL: They just shoot at each other at the moment and we just wait until one draws blood.
Tips, Picks and more
iOS Tip of the Week
- LL: Flipboard: I created a new Twitter account for retweets from Flipboard. ????
- AL: Mute your iPhone with the switch, but don't expect the alarm to be muted. ????
Lion Tip of the Week
- AL: Apple has built in readers.
- if someone emails you an word or page document, you can use reader??? to open and print it. (maybe he meant preview?)
Best tool to OCR PDFs
- AL: I use OmniPage
- DM: You can use PDFPen by SmileSoftware
Picks of the Week
- DM: iPad Tree Forest Exhibition in London (no link provided)
- DM: * http://tenonedesign.com/sketchpro.php, Pogo Sketch Pro – Drawing on the iPad, $24.95
- AL: * http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spectre/id436872608?mt=12, Spectre – Real-time Studio Multi-analyzer, $99.99
- AI: *http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amtrak/id405074003?ls=1&mt=8, Amtrak iPhone App, free
- LL: *http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/evri-for-ipad/id448520587 Evri – Newsreader for iPad, free
- GoToMeeting (offer code: macbreak): Safe money by meeting from the comfort of your home/office.
- Smile Software (try it for free for 30 days): PDFpen, PDFpro, Text Expander, etc.
- Edited by:
- Shotes notes: Jean-Marie Schweizer (Bushgeek)
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|