MacBreak Weekly 275
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Guests: Ken Ray
Recorded: November 29th, 2011
Published: November 29th, 2011
- 1 MacBreak Weekly 275: Steve Jobs – The Opera
- 1.1 Hosts
- 1.2 Guests
- 1.3 Topics
- 1.3.1 15-inch MacBook Air coming in Q1, says DigiTimes
- 1.3.2 Tablet Survey
- 1.3.3 MacBook Air Docking Station
- 1.3.4 ATT & T-Mobile
- 1.3.5 Apple Nipping at Target’s Heels for Fourth Most-Visited Site on Black Friday
- 1.3.6 75% of Apple stores sold out of iPhone 4S on Black Friday, iPad sales up 68%
- 1.3.7 A Look At Apple's Spot-the-Shopper Technology
- 1.3.8 'Letters to Steve' collects emails from Apple co-founder
- 1.3.9 Steve Jobs Biography
- 1.3.10 Aaron Sorkin considers writing 'Steve Jobs' movie
- 1.3.11 Steve Jobs Exhibit on Display at U.S. Patent Office Museum
- 1.3.12 Ad of the Day: Apple iPod Touch TBWA reminds parents that the iPhone, and its pricey data plan, isn't the only option for their teens
- 1.3.13 How 3D ads will make their way on to your phone
- 1.3.14 March Launch for Slightly Thicker iPad 3? iPhone with 4-Inch Screen in Summer?
- 1.3.15 Apple Looking For More Senior Executives To Help Run iCloud [Report]
- 1.3.16 Apple Moves Production to Sharp for TV Debut, Jefferies Says
- 1.3.17 Apple Founding Contract Job Signed Could Sell for $150,000
- 1.4 Tips & Picks
- 2 Sponsors
- 3 Production Information
MacBreak Weekly 275: Steve Jobs – The Opera
Lots of Mac rumors, why Leo has balloons over his head, and much more…
15-inch MacBook Air coming in Q1, says DigiTimes
- LL: I just bought an 11" Air, so the rumor must be true.
- KR: What's going to be great about the 15", it's going to be thinner, lighter and it'll have an SSD.
- LL: Apple has been early with a lot of interesting moves: dropping the floppy drive, dropping fire wire, dropping the optical drive. It seems that have been right with these moves.
- AI: The 15" will have more real estate for more battery life. It might be the first 10 hour laptop.
- There's a rumor that Samsung is leaving the netbook business.
- KR: Did you see the survey about how tablets are doing besides the iPad?
- LL: Amazon is saying that the fire is flying out like crazy.
- AI: They are claiming that it is in the millions which would be impressive.
- LL: There's no question that the Fire is going to be a success. It's the first good Android tablet and it'll be in the millions by the end of the year.
- I do think that the Fire is a good product.
MacBook Air Docking Station
- LL: I don't know if I need a docking station for my Air.
- It doesn't even have thunderbolt.
ATT & T-Mobile
- AI: I wish I understand the further dynamics of this deal.
- If you can afford to lose 4 billion dollars for a deal that doesn't go through...
Apple Nipping at Target’s Heels for Fourth Most-Visited Site on Black Friday
- AI: It's really not a big deal, because their discounts were minimal in comparison to its price.
- KR: It's still crazy, Apple products are on top of kids lists according to a survey.
75% of Apple stores sold out of iPhone 4S on Black Friday, iPad sales up 68%
- LL: According to Apple Store employees, consumers tending to go for the higher capacity models on the iPad.
- AI: I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact, that nobody expects to buy anything at Apple without spending less than a few hundred dollars.
- KR: How about Best Buy? They want to be a Apple Retailer.
- LL: I'd hate to go against the Apple Store experience.
- KR: Who is keeping an eye on Apple Retail Business now that Cook is CEO?
A Look At Apple's Spot-the-Shopper Technology
- AI: The Apple Store is really well organized.
- LL: There's a negative to that. They have been jammed.
- AI: Yes, the Apple Store is jammed, but I think because of the great experience people are not going to be too bothered about it.
'Letters to Steve' collects emails from Apple co-founder
Steve Jobs Biography
- LL: The biography gets a lot of criticism.
- AI: I agree and disagree with the criticism, but there must be a lot of decisions that have been made in regards to what is going into the book and what not.
- I'm sure there's more material to be published later.
- I don't think it's the book that is serving history but it serves the mass market.
- KR: It's kind of an airplane book, isn't it. I'm only half way through myself.
- In the book it goes very quickly from Steve Jobs garage to the board room.
- You really want to get more information on the details around that growth.
- As Andy said, this book is a general consumer book.
- LL: I also think it's for the general public. The good stuff is going to come.
Aaron Sorkin considers writing 'Steve Jobs' movie
- KR: I hope that the movie happens.
- Some say that Sorkin is the wrong person to do this.
- LL: He apparently hates the internet.
- Even his portrayal of Zuckerberg wasn't really pleasant.
- AI: The movies will probably based on facts but not all the facts.
- LL: How much more interesting that the Social Network is this movie going to be?
- I want to see it as an opera.
- Steve Jobs, the Broadway musical.
Steve Jobs Exhibit on Display at U.S. Patent Office Museum
- KR: It's amazing that they go it together so quickly, in a month and a half.
Ad of the Day: Apple iPod Touch TBWA reminds parents that the iPhone, and its pricey data plan, isn't the only option for their teens
- LL: Good reminder that you don't need a phone to run apps.
How 3D ads will make their way on to your phone
- LL: Is there a market for 3D? There are 3D phones and laptops now.
- I just saw a 3D Toshiba laptop.
- I just can't see a market for this.
March Launch for Slightly Thicker iPad 3? iPhone with 4-Inch Screen in Summer?
- LL: I'm not sure if 4 inch is really that important.
- But there's certainly a market for it.
- From the developers point of view it matters only if the resolution changes.
- KR: There's a story out of the UK that said that Apple's sales are up regardless of the larger screens.
- I don't think bigger screens are pushing the market.
- So, it's hard for me to see why Apple would want to do a 4 inch screen.
- Andy's point though is interesting. What if the 4 inch screen will be cheaper to produce than the smaller one.
- AI: If there is anybody who won't buy an iPhone because of the screen size has probably not been interesting in getting an iPhone in the first place.
- LL: The new Galaxy Nexus has a much better resolution and I think that people will want more.
- AI: I don't think it'll be about watching HD movies on the phone but it'll be about more detail.
- KR: Looking at changing the phone would be going in the wrong direction.
- What they are doing is building an eco system.
- A better thing for Apple to do is to focus on their eco system and make them better.
- LL: I'm not impressed with iCloud yet.
- They haven't showed a mastery of their software products as they have of their hardware sector.
Apple Looking For More Senior Executives To Help Run iCloud [Report]
- LL: I see the world moving to wards bigger screens, the cloud, etc.
- And I fear that Apple is going to be left behind.
- The iPhone is the last small premium phone.
- AI: But that's OK, Apple has never been dictate to.
- They are still making a compelling product.
- LL: If you can't do cloud and can't do social, It'll be hard to keep up in the future, regardless of how great the hardware is.
- AI: I wished that Apple would at least experiment with the idea of having a subscription model.
- LL: I guess what I'm really saying is that Apple is running the risk of being locked into Jobs.
- You need to have your feelers out for what the consumer want.
- AI: A good decision from two years or even two weeks ago, may not be the right one still.
Apple Moves Production to Sharp for TV Debut, Jefferies Says
- KR: Andy, do you still think there won't be an Apple TV?
Apple Founding Contract Job Signed Could Sell for $150,000
Tips & Picks
- AI: If you wanted to have a different login screen, you used to have a hack in order to do that.
- In Lion: Go into Security/Privacy Preferences you can add a custom message if your screen is locked.
- I believe it's brand new for Lion.
Picks of the Week
- KR: *ZooGue iPad Case (not the prettiest one) that sits on any angle you want to, from $49.99
- AI: *Prey Device tracking, from $0
- GoToMeeting (offer code: macbreak): Safe money by meeting from the comfort of your home/office.
- [http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/ Ford Sync) Wi-Fi connectivity from SYNC with MyFord Touch
- Ring Central Phone systems simplified, get a free 30-day trial.
- Edited by:
- Shotes notes: Jean-Marie Schweizer (Bushgeek)
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|