MacBreak Weekly 286
Guests: Alex Lindsay, Andy Ihnatko, Mike Elgan
Recorded: February 14th, 2012
Published: February 14th, 2012
- 1 MacBreak Weekly 286: One More Fing
- 2 Topics
- 2.1 Does Tweeting Make You Sexier?
- 2.2 Saint Valentine
- 2.3 iPad 3 event pegged for March 7 (rumor)
- 2.4 "A quad-core iPad 3? Not so fast
- 2.5 Next-gen iPads with LTE and an 8" version in testing? Magic WSJ-ball says "yes"
- 2.6 The Real Reasons Apple Will Ship a 7-Inch iPad
- 2.7 iPad 3 to Pave Way for 1080p iTunes Content and a New Apple TV?
- 2.8 Apple to Live Stream Audio of Tim Cook's Speech at Goldman Sachs Conference Tomorrow (Today)
- 2.9 Apple shares hit $500 and keep going (on Monday)
- 2.10 Apple-sparked 'App Economy' created 466K U.S. jobs in 4 years
- 2.11 DOJ clears Apple-Microsoft-RIM deal to buy Nortel patents
- 2.12 NPD: Apple dominated consumer electronics sales in 2011
- 2.13 Report: Apple forcing contract manufacturer Pegatron to choose sides, give up Asustek Zenbook orders
- 2.14 TuneCore: iTunes Match royalties appearing ‘out of thin air’, $10,000 in two months
- 2.15 Eddy Cue Accepts Special Grammy Award Honoring Steve Jobs
- 2.16 First third-party inspections of Chinese factories assembling Apple products begin
- 3 Tips & Picks
- 4 Sponsors
- 5 Production Information
MacBreak Weekly 286: One More Fing
Apple is now bigger than Microsoft and Google… and Sweden…
- Alex Lindsay ( /Google+)
- Andy Ihnatko ( /Google+)
- Mike Elgan ( /Google+)
Does Tweeting Make You Sexier?
iPad 3 event pegged for March 7 (rumor)
- ME: I have a theory.
- The Wall Street Journal is pretty good in predicting these kind of things.
- LL: All Things D said it's going to be in the first week of March
- AL: My son is requesting Facetime every time I'm gone
- AI: I'm not sure if it'll be all about Facetime.
- The can only improve the cameras.
- Facetime was going to be a much bigger deal than it turn out to be.
- Facetime doesn't seem to be a feature that the consumer seem to want right now.
- LL: They put a better camera in the notebooks.
- AL: Yes, but they are still not good.
- The Logitech Z-910 is probably the best camera in its class right now.
- ME: They way I think Apple thinks.
- They see a lot of excitement around social networking.
- They see kids getting together, take a picture and upload it to Facebook.
- Apple doesn't have anything like that yet.
- Facetime might become the answer to that lack.
- However, I don't see the carriers being able to handle it.
- LL: I want a better camera in the new iPad.
- Maybe a 5 MP like in the iPhone 4S but definitely a better front facing camera.
- Maybe that's what the announcement is about. A better camera and a hang out place.
- LL: I don't think they are going to allow 3/3G access though.
- Retina display makes a lot of sense. We've seen 4x resolutions around the net which would suggest such a move.
"A quad-core iPad 3? Not so fast
Next-gen iPads with LTE and an 8" version in testing? Magic WSJ-ball says "yes"
The Real Reasons Apple Will Ship a 7-Inch iPad
- AI: I don't think that a smaller iPad is a real possibility.
- I'm sure that Apple is working on one just to play with the idea and be ready in case the market shifts.
- However, the consumers don't seem to ask for a smaller iPad.
- Apple seems to be convinced that the people who are buying a 7 inch table would not buy an iPad anyway, even if it was smaller.
- LL: You're point is that Apple is testing stuff all the time.
- AI: Yes, and right now I don't see a reason for Apple to produce a smaller iPad.
- AL: But what about a lower price range?
- AI: That's why I think Apple would focus on producing a cheaper iPad but not while reducing the screen size.
- LL: I think Apple needs a low-cost item for schools, so that they can sell the text books.
- It might be even worth giving it away.
iPad 3 to Pave Way for 1080p iTunes Content and a New Apple TV?
- LL: It would make sense that they go 1080p
- AL: Maybe a camera as well? For Facetime.
- ME: The future of iTV or Television will be remote controllable by every iOS device, content will be in the cloud, not locally stored.
- There is no question that they continue to make it easier to use these devices.
- AL: What Apple hasn't done yet is the possibility to interconnect the content. A lot of us watch TV but use the iPad or iPhone at the same time. A better integration of the both would be a next step.
- AI: I think this year is the year of the AppleTV.
- They might be able to finally clarify what this device is. Getting away from the hobby.
- LL: Will they do live TV? That's the one thing cord cutters lose.
- ME: Live TV is one option but simultaneous TV is another.
- LL: There are a few apps that can give you a live experience.
- AI: Apple's only solution to live content would probably only be to integrate the TV signal into their experience.
- Otherwise, they'd have to get into negotiations with all providers.
Apple to Live Stream Audio of Tim Cook's Speech at Goldman Sachs Conference Tomorrow (Today)
- AL: The question is when Apple will hit a trillion dollars.
Apple-sparked 'App Economy' created 466K U.S. jobs in 4 years
DOJ clears Apple-Microsoft-RIM deal to buy Nortel patents
NPD: Apple dominated consumer electronics sales in 2011
Report: Apple forcing contract manufacturer Pegatron to choose sides, give up Asustek Zenbook orders
- LL: It's a little bullying isn't it?
- AI: This would make Pegatron completely dependent on Apple.
- ME: If the Zenbook is an actual theft of intellectual property than it is OK for Apple to protect it.
- AI: Apple has a right to control the technology that they develop but not to restrict the company in using their ability for other business.
TuneCore: iTunes Match royalties appearing ‘out of thin air’, $10,000 in two months
Eddy Cue Accepts Special Grammy Award Honoring Steve Jobs
First third-party inspections of Chinese factories assembling Apple products begin
Tips & Picks
- iPhone Canera: when you tap then the focus changes.
- If you tap and hold it will lock that focus
- Disk Utility – Repair Disk Permission
- in Lion a Home folder permission utility is hidden
- there is a way to do it. Here is one link
Picks of the Week
- ME: Orphion, Instrument on iPad, $4.99
- LL: Magnus, iPad stand using the iPad 2 magnets, $49.95
- AI: Snapseed, Photo editing, free (only for 2/14)
- iDraw for iPad, Vector drawing und illustration app, $8.99
- AL: Interactive Physics iBook, Kickstarter Project
- GoToMeeting (offer code: macbreak): Safe money by meeting from the comfort of your home/office.
- Carbonite (offer code: macbreak): online backup for Mac and PC
- Smile Software (try it for free for 30 days): PDFpen, PDFpro, Text Expander, etc.
- Edited by:
- Show notes: Jean-Marie Schweizer (Bushgeek)
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|