MacBreak Weekly 287
Guests: Andy Ihnatko, Chris Breen, Trey Ratcliff
Recorded: February 21st, 2012
Published: February 21st, 2012
- 1 MacBreak Weekly 287:
- 2 Topics
- 2.1 Ron Garan’s Incredible ISS Timelapse: Coming Back Home
- 2.2 OS X Mountain Lion Preview
- 2.3 Confirmed: iPad 3 Has a 2048x1536 Retina Display
- 2.4 Photo of iPad 3 Logic Board with "A5X" System on a Chip
- 2.5 Google Under Fire for Circumvention of Cookie Settings in Safari for iOS to Track Users
- 3 Tips & Picks
- 4 Sponsors
- 5 Production Information
MacBreak Weekly 287:
All about Mountain Lion and the Cougar in town, and much more...
- Andy Ihnatko ( /Google+)
- Chris Breen ( )
- Trey Ratcliff ( /[http://plus.google.com/105237212888595777019 Google
Ron Garan’s Incredible ISS Timelapse: Coming Back Home
What schools need to know about OS X Mountain Lion
OS X Mountain Lion Preview
- LL: Apple says that they are going to upgrade OS X yearly.
- Is this a full blown upgrade?
- AI: I don't think it's a full blown upgrade, but it is apparent that it is a significant shift in philosophy.
- They now really want to shift the iOS into experience to the Mac.
- The problem is that they didn't really decide how to make this experience suitable to the Mac OS X environment.
- Just bringing the iOS apps to Mac OS X might not be the best idea.
- CB: Apple is trying to present a unified experience.
- It doesn't matter what device I'm using it is just a window to my data.
- LL: I agree with Andy, that we shouldn't dumb down the experience for more powerful machines.
- CB: I agree and that might be because we are long time Mac users.
- I've had someone tell me that she loves the launch pad. Her first apple device was an iPhone.
- AI: The only mistake Apple might be making is to think that iOS is as good as anything else that is out there.
- It's like having an electric car. It's a great concept and certainly valuable but in terms of comparison to other cars out there, it just doesn't match up.
- I would hate to see Apple become the operating system focussing only on the simple things. Where they have to say, "if you want to get things done, go to Windows".
- LL: Dropping "Mac" for its corporate brand is significant, isn't it?
- Let's go one-by-one through the features.
- Let's start with gate keeper, a significant security feature
- With apps, you have three options: 1. Only apps from the app store, 2. apps that are signed y apple, and 3. anything.
- AI: Gate Keeper is a really good addition. It'll keep things safe and yet still flexible, especially with the middle setting.
- LL: Do you think that Apple is able to implement an iOS feel while keeping the flexibility of a pro system?
- TR: It think it should be possible.
- I don't think Apple is abandoning is the pro user.
- DB: To pull out the rug from under the pro users would be a serious mistake.
- A lot of pro users are upset about Final Cut Pro X.
- What we would really like is to have a PRO switch in system preferences so that everything would be brought back to what it was before.
- LL: Air Play Mirroring!
- CB: I love that feature. They're going to sell a lot of AppleTVs because of that feature.
- AI: I think this is also going to be a good indication that we are getting a 1080p AppleTV.
- LL: Twitter and Vimeo integration is interesting.
Confirmed: iPad 3 Has a 2048x1536 Retina Display
- LL: A lot of people have confirmed that March 7 is the date where Apple makes an announcement.
- It is confirmed that I am not on the list of people being invited to that event.
- DB: They have a ruler! That is evidence enough.
Photo of iPad 3 Logic Board with "A5X" System on a Chip
- LL: A picture claiming to be the logic board of the iPad 3.
- It guess it's still dual core.
- CB: So many people walking into these story stating the obvious.
- It couldn't be a worse camera, couldn't it?
- It looks like it's not Photoshop'ed.
- AI: I have a hard time believing it's not really useful.
- It's cool, it's trivia, but is it really useful?
Google Under Fire for Circumvention of Cookie Settings in Safari for iOS to Track Users
- AI: If there is a setting that I, as the user, can decide to have a certain level of privacy and you are circumventing my desired setting, that you have a serious problem understanding what I want.
- They are screwing with my right of privacy.
Tips & Picks
- DB: Under Settings/Safari
- Turn on Private Browsing, which will turn off third party cookies.
- AI: you can share your internet connection with other devices, e.g. iPhone, iPad
- by creating your own WiFi-network under AirPort
Picks of the Week
- TR: * Promise Thunderbolt RAID, Super fast RAID, starting $1,299
- * Clear, Productivity app with great gestures, $0.99
- CB: * Mic by Apogee, Microphone with iPod/iPhone/iPad doc connector, $199
- AI: * Zag Folio 2, Ipad Case with Keyboard, $99.99
- Pond5 (offer code: macbreak25), The World's Stock Media Marketplace
- Hover (offer code: macbreak) Domain name registration without any fuzz.
- Edited by:
- Show notes: Jean-Marie Schweizer (Bushgeek)
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|