MacBreak Weekly 294
Guests: Andy Ihnatko, Ken Ray, Clayton Morris
Recorded: April 10, 2012
Published: April 10, 2012
- 1 MacBreak Weekly 294:
- 2 Topics
- 2.1 Exclusive: Facebook Deal Nets Instagram CEO $400 Million
- 2.2 T-Mobile makes a statement on AT&T’s unlocking: ‘Bring ‘em on and save a lot of money!’
- 2.3 Analyst cuts AAPL rating on iPhone subsidy backlash, estimates $1B earnings miss
- 2.4 Apple's 'iPanel' called 'far more than a TV,' expected to launch in 2012
- 2.5 Researchers Confirm Flashback Trojan Infects 600,000 Macs, Used For Click Fraud
- 2.6 Steve Jobs really was mad about Android, says biographer =
- 2.7 New iPhone to debut in October, Foxconn employee says
- 3 Tips & Picks
- 4 Sponsors
- 5 Production Information
MacBreak Weekly 294:
Instagram sold for 1 Billion, Flashback Virus, and much more...
- Andy Ihnatko ( /Google+)
- Ken Ray ( /Google+)
- Clayton Morris ( /Google+)
Exclusive: Facebook Deal Nets Instagram CEO $400 Million
- LL: Are they worth it, Ken?
- KR: How can you possibly say?
- Mark Zuckerberg had 150,000 likes on his post.
- I heard that a lot of people have already quit.
- I'm concerned with the UI experience.
- I haven't look at my Facebook page in two weeks, so I'm sure how it's going to look like now.
- LL: A lot of this are also called acq-hires.
- Companies purchasing the talent, not the company.
- CM: I see it a bit more globally.
- I don't think that much is going to chance.
- I don't want the UI to change at all. I'm with Ken on this point.
- But I do see a benefit of combining both Facebook and Instagram
- LL: I do have a concern of something like Instagram being acquired by a big company like Facebook.
- It just loses a personal touch.
- KR: Did anyone expect Facbeook to buy Instagram for 1 Bio. dollars? No!
- How are they making their money?
- LL: Somebody said that Instagram sold too soon.
- If someone is giving me a billion dollards, I"m going to sell it!
- LL: Mark Zuckerberg says that they are commited to grow Instagram independently and keep the experience as is.
- Why didn't Apple go after Instagram?
- KR: Why would they, though?
- They already have the experience in UI and usability.
- CM: I'm reminded what Steve Jobs said to the Dropbox folks: Remember, you are just a utility.
- So, Instagram… It's a photo app. Is it really worth 1 billion?
- LL: Steve Jobs says: Dropbox is a feature, not a product. Apple offered 800 million dollards. Dropbox turn them down.
- CM: Let's not forget tagging, which is used in Facebook. I can't see that they wouldn't want to adapt that option to Instagram.
- LL: There is a link to be used to delete you Instagram account:
- A lot of pros use Instagram for inspiration.
- AI: Part of this deal must have been to keep Instagram to be going into somebody else's hands.
- Google would have been a contender. Yahoo would probably have loved to have the money to buy them.
- The fact that Yahoo bought Flickr so long ago and they didn't develop it into a mobile app, just shows what can happen when big companies take over.
- KR: Why is it so important to take Instagram off the street?
- AI: I have to admit, I didn't understand the 1/2 billion dollar evaluation and certainly not the 1 billion dollar purchase price.
- Taking the features of Instagram and integrade it into the existing Facebook might just keep them up-to-date.
- I do agree that I don't see 1/2 billion let alone 1 billion dollars out of this investment.
- CM: Maybe the UI of Instagram doesn't chance but the one of Facebook.
- AI: I don't think that Instagram will have much to say in about a year.
- LL: Who will be the next big purchase?
- Is it going to be path? Because of the privacy feature?
- Or is that the reason why nobody would want to buy them.
- CM: All the geo location data that Facebook owns now is in fact worth a lot of money, thinking of location based advertising.
- LL: How private is your geo location?
- KR: I don't know how to answer that.
- LL: Do you hide your location?
- KR: No, but I don't really think about this that much.
- CM: In certain siutations I'm very open about my location, but sometimes I'm not, e.g. holidays.
- With Path I don't think about that.
- AI: I'm very concerned about geo location not only because of myself but also the people I hang out with.
- I have 60,000 Twitter followers and might be devestating to release my location publicly.
T-Mobile makes a statement on AT&T’s unlocking: ‘Bring ‘em on and save a lot of money!’
- LL: I will look for my old iPhone and get it unlocked buy ATT.
- I only used the international plan with ATT once. Never again…
Analyst cuts AAPL rating on iPhone subsidy backlash, estimates $1B earnings miss
- CM: There's some kernel of truth to that if I look at my new Nokia.
- LL: They lunched their new phone on Easter Sunday when nobody is open.
- CR: Somebdy was saying that that move was smart because if sales are not good they can say that it was because of Easter Sunday.
- CM: I like the phone, but there is a big lack in great apps. Even IE doesn't work without problems.
- It seems like that certain websites, even designed for mobile devices, sometimes load extremely low.
- LL: Does anyone even has a chance besides to iPhone?
- AI: I see plenty of iPhone and I see a lot of Android phones as well. Microsoft might have the market to push into that obviously wants options.
Apple's 'iPanel' called 'far more than a TV,' expected to launch in 2012
Researchers Confirm Flashback Trojan Infects 600,000 Macs, Used For Click Fraud
- LL: Is this a wake-up call for Mac users to be concerned about viruses?
- KR: It is in fact part of it now.
- Sadly, it's not true anymore that Macs don't get malware.
- LL: I don't have an anit-virus software installed on any of my computers, because I know what I'm doing.
- But for novices I do have some recommendations.
Steve Jobs really was mad about Android, says biographer =
New iPhone to debut in October, Foxconn employee says
Tips & Picks
Picks of the Week
- AI: *Hyperdither Turn your photos into 1-pixel-dithers, free
- CM: *Fitbit Ultra Fitness tracker, $99.95
- *Lose It App, Calory Counter for iPhone, free
- KR: *Paper App Ideas begin on Paper, free
- GoToMeeting (offer code: macbreak): Online Meetings Made Easy.
- Ford Synce + App Link Technology focused on your safety.
- Hover (offer code: macbreak) Domain name registration without any fuzz.
- Edited by:
- Show notes: Jean-Marie Schweizer (Bushgeek)
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|