MacBreak Weekly 417
Topic: iPhone 6: screen resolution, new 128MB size, leaked assembled photos; iPhone 5 battery replacement program, cell phone kill switch law in CA, and more.
Recorded: August 26, 2014
Published: August 26, 2014
- 1 MacBreak Weekly 417: Lego Queen
- 2 Sponsors
- 3 Production Information
MacBreak Weekly 417: Lego Queen
iPhone 6: screen resolution, new 128MB size, leaked assembled photos; iPhone 5 battery replacement program, cell phone kill switch law in CA, and more.
- Leo Laporte ( /Google+)
- Alex Lindsay ( /Google+)
- Rene Ritchie ( /about.me)
- Andy Ihnatko ( /Google+)
Slow News Cycle.... Apple/iPhone speculations
- Andy: Will Apple increase the iCloud allotment to allow for devices with more memory (ie 128M)
- Rene: Apple's new app, "Photos" will manage photos in the iCloud in a much more efficient way
- Alex: The number 1 thing people use their mobile devices for is taking photos
- Leo: Is this an opportunity for Apple to really upgrade the camera in the iPhone 6?
- Rene: Apple wants a slim iPhone, cameras want depth of field, creating a tension in design
- Leo: MacRumors post iPhone leak pics
- Rene: Apple is very concerned about "Tap Target" or whether people can actually hit the target icon or button reliably.
- Leo: John Gruber believes the resolution of 4.7" will be 1334x750 325-ppi and the 5.5" will be 2208x1242 461-ppi
- Leo: iOS 8 gives evidence in it's code of other resolutions according to 9to5Mac
- Leo: Bloomberg reports Apple is working on a 12.9" iPad for 2015
- Andy: Would really like something between the laptop and the tablet
- Leo: Apple has a support site to determine by serial number if your phone is eligible.
- Leo: Twit Brickhouse survived with no damage
Cell Phone kill switch
- Leo: By July 2015, all smart phones must have kill switch
- Leo: No one will build a phone just for California, so it will be available nation-wide
- Alex: As long as Apple and Samsung do it, that will be the majority of phones
- Leo: iMore published a good article
- Alex: Smart watches are not attracting the +55 crowd (those who could really benefit from HealthKit)
- Leo: It feels ready...
- Rene: I'd rather it be good than rushed
- Leo: I have it running on my production machine. Very few apps are incompatible
- Leo: iTunes 12: Apple wants to get rid of the left side gutter
Picks of the Week
- Alex's pick: Battery Health – FIPLAB Ltd for free
- Shows you everything you need to know about your battery and is pretty accurate
- Rene's pick: Philips Hue tap Switch for $80
- A remote control for Hue lights with presets. In case you can't use the app
- Andy's pick: The Very Least I Could Do for free
- A self-proclaimed challenge to post 12 videos over the next 4 weeks
- Leo’s pick: Hyperlapse from Instagram – Instagram, Inc. for free
- Creates a time lapse video with very smooth video
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|