Tech News Today 51
Recorded: August 11, 2010
Published: August 11, 2010
Tech News Today 51: The Hammers Root Our Show
A virus hist Android, the stress of identity theft, and sounds of construction!
- AT&T, Facebook agree to disagree on Google-Verizon deal
- Facebook differs with Google on Net neutrality
- Verizon has announced its FiOS1 channel will carry the first 3D NFL game. It will be a preseason game between the New York Giants and the New England Patriots on September 2.
- Apple Japan is offering to replace batteries in first-generation models of the iPod Nano, after two years of complaints about overheating that caused fires and burns. Any customer who experiences an overheating incident can receive an entirely new iPod Nano.
- Viacom submitted the paperwork on Wednesday to appeal the ruling that struck down its lawsuit against YouTube and Google earlier this year. Judge Louis Stanton rule din June that Google's YouTube was protected under safe-harbor provisions fo the DMCA.
- According to PaidContent, DirecTV is handing over a portion of its ad inventory to Google. Google TV sells ads for television. Google will get the ability to sell ad inventory on 11 channels that broadcast to DirecTV customers.
- DARPA is granting $25 million to NVIDIA in order to develop "high-performance GPU computing systems." DARPA wants to address a so-called "crisis in computing." The the four-year project will hopefully yield a "new class of exascale supercomputers which will be 1,000-times more powerful than today's fastest supercomputers."
Kickers and Weird Science
On The Calendar
- Code for America fellows application August 15
- IFa Sept 3rd in Berlin to September 8th
- Voicemail from Dave about Google-Verizon Open Internet proposal
- Email from Todd about the discussion regarding the louder keys on older keyboards
- Email from Mike about how Apple will deal with voiding the warranty if you jailbreak the iPhone by exploiting a security hole
- Carbonite.com offer code TNT
- Carb #3
- ad times: 00:34-00:45 and 10:55-12:22
- Edited by: Erik
- Notes: Mediafly publish time: about 4:45 (exact data lost by lock-up)
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|