This WEEK in LAW 191
|Hosts: Denise Howell and Evan Brown|
Guests: Jason Rantanen and Bryce Knight
Recorded: December 14, 2012
Published: December 14, 2012
MCLE Credits 1.5
This Week In Law 191: Trolls, Trust, Selfies, & Sundays
Legal issues confronting startups, Jammie Thomas heading for SCOTUS, Viacom v. YouTube, Samsung v. Apple, and more.
- Denise Howell
- Evan Brown
- Jason Rantanen
- "Professor Rantanen obtained his Master's Degree in History and JD from the University of Chicago, where he graduated with honors, served as a member of the University of Chicago Law Review, and was awarded the Order of the Coif. He is currently Associate Professor at University of Iowa College of Law. Professor Rantanen is the author of several articles on patent law doctrine and theory. His work has appeared in the University of Southern California Law Review, the American University Law Review, and the Yale Journal of Law and Technology. He recently co-authored several essays on the America Invents Act that were featured by the University of Michigan Law Review, the University of Pennsylvania Law Review, the Stanford Law Review, and the UCLA Law Review. In addition, he is a co-author of the widely read law blog Patently-O."
- Bryce Knight (
- "Bryce is an entrepreneur and investor. Bryce is the CEO of INVENT Ventures, Inc. (OTC: IDEA), a publicly-traded technology venture firm located in Santa Monica, California that he founded in 2010. Bryce serves on the Board of Directors for several technology companies that were incubated at INVENT including Sanguine BioSciences, Virurl, Stockr, LottoPals, Clowd and Stocktown Productions. Bryce has served as an officer or senior advisor to several publicly traded companies, specializing in investment management, corporate structure, business development, and SEC compliance. Bryce graduated Magna Cum Laude with an M.B.A. and B.A. in Business from Bellarmine University, Rubel School of Business."
- Invent (00:06:45)
- JOBS Act (00:10:55)
- SEC Chairman-to-Be Wants Changes to JOBS Act Plans via Compliance Week
- THE JOBS ACT CROWDFUNDING TIMELINE -- IN DEPTH WITH ELLENOFF via Crowdsourcing.org
- Facebook not "public" disclosure, says SEC (00:19:00)
- Jammie Thomas knocks on Supreme Court's door (00:33:39)
- Viacom v. YouTube (00:40:00)
- Google Files Another Motion to Dismiss Viacom's YouTube Lawsuit via The Hollywood Reporter, ESQ.
- Catching up with IsAnyoneUp (00:45:43)
- Consumer Survey on Tracking (01:01:11)
- Survey: Tracking Fears Are Real, But Consumers Grasp Value Exchange via Ad Exchanger
- But is it open on Sundays? (01:08:10)
- Bitcoin going mainstream? Exchange approved to operate as a bank via Ars Technica
Tip of the Week
Resource of the Week
- Wii U TOS breakdown
- Nintendo Still Loves DRM; The Internet Not So Much via Tech Dirt (01:37:12)
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|