Windows Weekly 192
Recorded: January 20, 2011
Published: January 20, 2011
- Windows Phone news:
- Microsoft claims it has found 3G data leak problem in WP7, blames unnamed third party app. This is clearly not the (entire) problem.
- Software updates for Windows Phone? Where are they? And why isn't Microsoft on the same path Apple was with the iPhone in 2007??
- 2010 PC sales, part 2
- Now that Apple's results are in, let's make a comparison between PC and Mac sales.
- Apple sold 11.23 million Macs in CY 2009 and 14.4 million in 2010. YOY growth = 16.16 percent
- PC makers sold 300 million PCs in CY 2009 and 248.5 million in 2010. YOY growth = 28.22 percent
- Apple's CY 2009 market share was percent was 3.74 percent. For 2010, it was 4.42 percent
- These are worldwide figures of course.
- The mystery behind the release of Windows 7 SP1
- It's here. Or is it? The official release will be next week or the week after.
- A preview of the Internet Explorer 9 Release Candidate that's coming at end of January
- UI changes, including cleaner-looking, squared-off tabs (Beta uses IE 8 style tabs), a new ActiveX Filter feature that can toggle ActiveX elements on a page-by-page basis, the previously-announced tracking protection feature, latest rendering engine from recent platform preview builds
- Coming January 28
- Video game sales, part 2
- We didn't have all the numbers last week. But we do now.
- Nintendo won December with 2.36 million Wii consoles in December
- Microsoft surprised with a record 1.9 million Xbox 360s sold in December and 3.27m for Q4
- Sony trailed with 1.2 million PS3s in December
- Microsoft's best month was only good enough for a number two showing, and let's face it, it wasn't that far ahead of the PS3
- Microsoft now warning that it may fall short in January and February because it had to take stock to meet holiday demand.
- Related: Some Dashboard updates this week (anti-piracy, Gamertag UI change)
- Microsoft Fellow Mark Russinovich has written a cyber-thriller, "Zero Day"
- Coming in March, you can preorder it now.
- OneNote for iPhone
- Microsoft ships another iOS app. But where's the iPad version? More important, where's Office?
- Exchange vs. Google Apps in the battle of the nines
- Google is exaggerating its uptime claims. Why isn't Microsoft fighting back harder?
- A few thoughts about Steve Jobs and Apple
- He's irreplaceable. It's time to replace him
Windows Phone 7 App of the Week: Zombies!
- A Left 4 Dead-style game, but turn-based, and for Windows Phone: Kill the zombie horde on the go! (Actually, it's based on a board game)
Software Pick of the Week
- Air Video - Fixes a weird missing feature in the iPad and AirPlay and works pretty well. $2.99
- Eraser - Securely erase a hard drive so you can dispose of it--or give it away, or sell it--and not worry about someone stealing your data. Best of all, it's free
- Link URL and optional brief description
- ad times: 0:34-0:42 and 1:27:41-1:31:55
|The Master Switch: The Rise and Fall of Information Empires by Tim Wu (UNABRIDGED)|
Narrated by Marc Vietor
- Squarespace.com/windows (offer code windows)
- ad times: 0:44-0:59 and 34:53-37:58
- Edited by: Tony
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|