Windows Weekly 237
Recorded: December 1, 2011
Published: December 1, 2011
- 1 Topics
- 2 Tip of the Week: Experience Windows Phone on iPhone or Android
- 3 Software Pick of the Week: Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombies for iPad
- 4 Enterprise Pick of the Week: SQL Azure Data Sync
- 5 Codename Pick of the Week: Protogon
- 6 Notable Quotes
- 7 Significant Products
- 8 Sponsors
- 9 Production Information
- Exclusive: Microsoft's plan for ARM-based Windows 8
- Are you wondering if there's going to be a desktop on the ARM versions of Windows 8? Now I can tell you what's happening.
- If what Paul is saying is the ultimate decision, it means MS has reversed its plans since September: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-desktop-apps-will-run-on-windows-8-on-arm/10756
- More Win 8 tidbits:
- Report on TheNextWeb that there will be no Win 8 beta until late Feb. 2012: http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2011/12/01/the-public-windows-8-beta-will-be-released-in-late-february
- Next week: MS to share more details about the Windows 8 store: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-to-share-more-details-on-its-windows-8-app-store/11313
- Office coming to iPad? One unsourced report says it will in 2012
- That said, I did get a little email from a friend at Microsoft and...
- $10 bucks per app is also unlikely... unless they are stripped-down/Office Web App-like apps (I'd guess)
- I wasn't told any details, but if they're like OWA or Office Starter, $10 per makes sense.
- Xbox 360 thunders ahead on Black Friday
- 800,000 consoles in one day, 960,000 over BF week, 750,000 Kinects
- Imagine how many they could sell if the Kinect actually worked
- How many of these are repeat buyers getting 2nd, 3rd and 4th consoles. If Twitter is an indicator, LOTS
- Next week: Xbox dashboard update goes live and TV services then cleared to go (like Verizon FiOS TV bundle)
- SkyDrive quietly gets a major overhaul
- It's no iCloud, but SkyDrive is looking better than ever
- Office Web Apps gets a minor update, too
- Windows Phone roundup
- Mango bits finally pushed to Dell Venue Pro users: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2011/11/30/updates-now-delivering-to-dell-venue-pro.aspx
- Lenovo confirms it will have Win Phones, but not till 2nd half of 2012: http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windowsphone75/lenovo-confirms-plans-windows-phone-handset-2012-141464
- New MSE beta bits are out
- Microsoft Security Essentials next version is in testing. New final release in 2012?
- Yahoo takeover rumors swirl
- Microsoft is apparently part of a group that would buy a minority stake and sell off Alibaba. But Alibaba is trying to grab all of Yahoo, according to reports.
- Amazon sells "millions" of Kindle devices
- Finally, a viable iPad competitor. Now, where's Windows 8?
Tip of the Week: Experience Windows Phone on iPhone or Android
- And then cry because you have to go back to your old phone. A new Windows Phone emulator gives you a chance to walk on the wild side
Software Pick of the Week: Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombies for iPad
- Activision delivers a version of the beloved Call of Duty "Zombies" games for the iPad (and iPhone). This one includes a classic Zombies mode but also "Dead-Ops Arcade," a top down shooter with 50 levels of its own. What's not to love? Well, it's a bit expensive ($6.99). But it's well worth it.
Enterprise Pick of the Week: SQL Azure Data Sync
- MS seeks a way to share data between on-premises SQL Server and SQL Azure applications for hybrid on-premises and cloud-based applications
Codename Pick of the Week: Protogon
- The file system that was seen in early builds of WIn 8 has a new (possibly final) name: ReFS -- relational file system, perhaps?
- Link URL and optional brief description
- Audible URL
|TBD by TBD (ABRIDGED/UNABRIDGED)|
Narrated by TBD
- Link URL
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|