Windows Weekly 94
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Recorded: February 12, 2009
Published: February 13, 2009
- One Windows 7 upgrade issue answered:
- A leaked Microsoft document explains how Vista-to-7 upgrades will work
- Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium only
- Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional only
- Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate only
- No upgrades for Windows Vista Starter, Home Basic
- Related: No Ultimate Extras in Windows 7, upgrades will lose those features
- Deploying Windows Vista vs. 7: Microsoft provides guidance to businesses
- XP to Vista or 7? What about Windows 2000? Continue with a Vista deployment or wait for 7? Microsoft has the answers. Paul has some thoughts about this as well.
- Compare "spending" with "investing"
- Sometimes you have to spend some now to save over long term
- It's a hard thing to do in this economy
- imagine what would happen, however, if *everyone* just stopped spending money
- EU vs. Microsoft on IE in Windows
- Mozilla jumps the shark, joins in the fight
- let's stop the madness
- Gmail keeps getting better and better
- Latest example: Google Sync for Mobile Devices
- This is awesome, replaces NuevaSync --> free version of Mobile Me, basically
- Paul doesn't understand why anyone uses any other email service
- Related: Microsoft My Phone service leaks, coming soon
- Kindle 2 is coming!
- It looks awesome. My order is in.
- Repair/Everything Must Go update
- My WD Raptor drive is back, fixed
- Zune is out for repair
- Paul has 3 Xbox 360s leaving the house today for repair
- Will target next EMG event for the return of the 360s.
- Will have a lot of stuff to get rid of this time around
- Also: Discuss msconfig and why it's a POS
Tip of the Week
- Simplify, simplify, simplify
- In keeping with the Less is More philosophy
- One email client - aggregate accounts in a single place (I use Gmail)
- One calendar - subscribe to things that are important (I use Google Calendar)
- One point of entry into your digital life/digital persona - how many of us have blogs, IM, twitter, Facebook, etc.? It's time to consolidate. (I can't do this, but Paul is defining how he uses each of these things.)
- Daniel Smith via email...
- He collected some hi-res photos of the Large Hadron Collider in Europe and made a really nice Windows 7 theme.
Software Pick of the Week
- Glary Utilities - Nice replacement for Software Explorer, which is being removed from the Windows 7 version of Windows Defender. (Startup Manager)
- But it also does a lot more:
- "It allows you to clean common system junk files, as well as invalid registry entries and Internet traces. You can manage and delete browser add-ons, analyze disk space usage and find duplicate files. You can also view and manage installed shell extensions, encrypt your files from unauthorized access and use, split large files into smaller manageable files and then rejoin them. Furthermore, Glary Utilities includes the options to optimize memory, find, fix, or remove broken Windows shortcuts, manage the programs that start at Windows startup and uninstall software. Other features include secure file deletion, an Empty Folder finder and more."
- Recommended by Stephen Hoos via email. Wonderful program.
- Link URL and optional brief description
- Audible URL
| Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin (ABRIDGED)|
Narrated by Richard Thomas
Ad Times: 0:32-0:42 and 0:59:09-1:05:17
Ad Time: 0:43-0:59 and 36:36-38:35
- Recorded Date: February 12, 2009
- Release Date: February 13, 2009
- Duration: 1:19:05
- Log line:
- Edited by: Tony
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.-ok|